Ham-Stuffed Turkey Breast
Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
Boneless, butterflied, stuffed and rolled, this turkey breast makes an elegant but inexpensive main dish that is excellent served either hot or chilled.
- Slit turkey breast horizontally through center of thickest portion, enough to open meat up (do not cut all the way through). Meat should be about 1-inch thick.
- Place turkey on plastic wrap, opened up like a book. Cover with second sheet of plastic. Pound down on thickest portions with mallet to make a rectangle, about 8 by 10 inches.
- Cut ham into strips, about 1/3-inch thick. Lay across turkey breast.
- Sauté mushrooms and onion in 2 Tbs. of the butter for 4 to 5 minutes until mushrooms are done and onion is tender.
- Add thyme and salt.
- Sprinkle mushroom mixture over ham and turkey.
- Roll up so that ham pieces rest lengthwise inside the roll. Using cotton twine, tie in several places to hold together.
- Sprinkle roll with flour.
- Heat remaining butter in heavy skillet.
- Brown turkey on all sides. Place into roasting pan.
- Add wine to pan.
- Roast at 350 degrees about 1 1/2 hours until thermometer registers 180 degrees.
- Remove turkey to platter. Discard string.
- Heat drippings with additional water. Scrape, boil and pour over turkey roll.